To get things started I thought we would start with a survey about styles of beer so I can get to know my audience (all 3 of you).
1. What are your favorite styles of beer, with some examples?
2. What beer styles would like to know more about?
3. What are your least favorite styles of beer?
My answers are:
1. Belgian Pale Ales (Orval, Matilda, Rayon Vert); Hoppy Pilsners (Prima Pils, Sunshine Pils, Heater Allen Pils); German Hefeweizen’s (Weihenstephaner, Dancing Man Wheat); Oatmeal Stouts & Milk Stouts (Shakespeare Stout, Moloko Milk Stout), Citrusy American IPAs (White Rajah, Flower Power, Columbus IPA), Saisons (all of the ones from Stillwater Brewing are good); Dortmunder Lagers (Dortmunder Gold, Hoster’s Gold Top)…. (the list could go on)
2. Belgian Sours like Lambics and Gueuzes. Some styles of German Lagers, like Keller Bier and Schwarzbier. I’ve tried a few of each but not too many.
3. Scotch Ales, Vienna Lagers, Berliner Weissbiers all come to mind. Beers with vegetables in them like Chili Beers and Pumpkin Beers have to be taken in serious moderation.