The invention and rise of the American IPA is one of those rare moments in the history of brewing that forever changes the rules of making beer. In this episode we turn our attention to this ubiquitous and hugely influential style by sampling six year-round American IPAs from our home base here in Columbus. We are thrilled to be joined on our journey by Dan Shaffer, head brewer at Land Grant Brewing Co. Dan has a gift for finding hop combinations with flavor profiles that evoke almost any kind of fruit you can imagine, and in this episode he graciously shares his deep knowledge of hops. The field includes flagship IPAs from Columbus Brewing Company (IPA), Land Grant (Oh Sure), Seventh Son (The Scientist), Wolf’s Ridge (Pack IPA), and Sideswipe (Fisticuffs IPA). We finish with Spaceship #6 from Lineage Brewing, and dedicate this episode to our friends at Lineage who are ending a great 7 year run this month.
Don’t forget you can find this episode and earlier ones on our podcast page, as well as Apple Music, Podbean, Spotify, and various other podcast apps. Just search for the All Things Beer podcast, and don’t hesitate to leave a comment or a rating.
- Columbus Brewing Company IPA
- Oh Sure (Land Grant)
- Pack IPA (Wolf’s Ridge)
- The Scientist (Seventh Son)
- Fisticuffs IPA (Sideswipe)
- Spaceship #6 (Lineage)
- American IPAs Part 1 – Not Your Father’s IPA
- American IPAs Part 2 – (Hop) Timing is Everything
- American IPAs Part 3 – Five Hops That Shaped Your IPA
- Results and Reflections on the 2019 King of Ohio IPA Contest
- Pat’s Pints Podcast Episode 19 – The History of the IPA Part 1
- Pat’s Pints Podcast Episode 20 – The History of the IPA Part 2
Leave a Reply