In this episode we sit down (virtually) with Sean White, co-owner and head brewer at Little Fish Brewing in Athens, Ohio, for an expansive discussion of sour beers and wild ale brewing. With two World Beer Cup medals for their barrel-aged sours (a bronze for Petit Poisson in 2018 and a gold for Barrel Aged Woodthrush in 2016) Sean and the team at Little Fish are one of Ohio’s leading practitioners of this artistic form of brewing. The discussion covered so many topics we had to split it into two separate episodes. In Part 1 we discuss the meaning of terms like sour beer and wild ale, capturing yeasts from the wild, Brett beers, sabering bottles, mixed fermentation saisons, alternative grains, Little Fish’s takes on oud bruins and Flemish reds, and what might be an entirely new style, farmhouse malt liquors. Look for Part 2 to be released in mid-May.
- Statement of Purpose (Little Fish collaboration with Branch and Bone)
- Honey Bruin (Little Fish)
- Little Fish Brewing – Bringing a slice of the Ardennes to Appalachia
- Pat’s Pints Podcast Episode 7 – Farmhouse beers with Little Fish Brewing
- Sunday in Athens – A (chauffeured) walk on the wild side
- Ohio celebrates a strong showing at the 2018 World Beer Cup
- Beer Review – Barrel-aged Saison du Poisson by Little Fish Brewing